If you teach kids, I want you to save this article, print it, and read it until you have my bullet points memorize. Then I want you to watch the video at the end of this article and understand why I write what I write, and why you are so important to your community. Then after that, think of a way to add something similar to your school’s website.
By the way, I decided to put this article under the “Business” section of the blog, because this message will make a huge difference in your school’s bottom line–as well as it may give you some new purpose or mission in your martial art career’s life.
Bullying Can KILL Your Child
Whether your child is the victim or the prey, or just a bystander, bullying can get your kid killed.
Parents often don’t know that their children are being bullied or are bullying other children until it’s too late. Kids have come home with injuries they hide from their parents, but the psychological scars never heal. Grades plummet, their attendance suffers, their self-esteem drops to a horrible low, they contemplate suicide. Sometimes, your children never tell you because they are afraid that you will be disappointed in them. Your child might have even come home and hinted that they were being bullied and you failed to protect them. What do you tell them?
- “Man up”
- It’s just teasing.
- They’re jealous of you. Ignore it.
- Tell a teacher.
- Stand up for yourself.
- Sticks and stones may break your bones, but…
Do you know what all this means? It means, “I don’t know what to do, so it’s your problem.”
Perhaps you didn’t mean to send that message, but that’s the message they got. And the truth is, you probably don’t know what to do about it. But you’re not supposed to, Mr. Mom/Ms. Dad–that’s my area of expertise. The good news, however, is that you’re here. This is what we can do about it…
Kids have brought knives to school to deal with bullies. Children fantasize about killing their tormentors often, because to some children–this is the only way they believe it will stop. They are channeling their frustration and anger, and the adults apparently can’t or won’t stop them. Let the bullying continue until the victim acts out, by refusing to do schoolwork, or disobeying teachers and parents (the same ones who won’t help them)–and no one will care that the child is being bullied. Look at some of the school shootings, and you can see how the failure of teachers, school administrators and parents can explode into multiple lives ruined.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, you have the kids who just want out. They run away, they run into the arms of deviant adults who will pretend to care about them–or bad kids–or they run to alcohol and drugs to try and fit in. Worst of all, out of the 280,000 children that were attacked in American schools last year, thousands have committed suicide (also known as “bullycide”). There is no exact figure, because quite often, the kids don’t say why they do it.
One child losing his life to this behavior is too much.
I am not trying to say martial arts is the cure to this, but martial arts is the cure.
- Martial arts will give kids a means to defend themselves. Maybe you can’t go into the school and wring that boy’s neck who is pushing your son, but your son can certainly push back himself. But he needs to feel confident that he can do it. I will teach him how, and give him the tools.
- Fighting in school is often not fighting–a lot of it is self-defense. You wouldn’t go into a job without the proper training, why would you send your school into the jungles of school life to defend himself without the tools?
- Many girls lose their virginity to boys who force themselves on them. Do you really want your daughter to not have a way to protect herself? Surely, you are not in such denial that you believe the police will protect your daughters 24 hours a day? Don’t fool yourself, please, at the expense of not wanting to spend $70 a month. Few girls will come home and say, “Mom, this cute boy at school is telling me every day he wants to have sex with me.” Especially when all the other kids are doing it (so they think). Martial arts helps kids stand alone with confidence, in whatever stance they happen to stand.
- Kids are abducted, they are beaten, they are mentally bullied by their peers. You wouldn’t leave your cars unlocked outside, unattended, would you? Why send your kids into this horrible world unable to protect themselves?
- Martial arts restores a kid’s self esteem, it gives them something to feel good about. It makes them stronger so they can excel at other sports. It helps them sleep better at night. It makes their bodies require less sleep to function. It allows them to relieve stress and focus better in school. It gives them friends with like interests that WON’T bully them. No other activity does this, not even Sunday school.
- Martial arts combats obesity. Obesity causes your kids to have health problems. Such health problems as cholesterol, thyroid disorder, diabetes, heart problems. Diabetes is even deadlier than bullying. You know this. Do something about it!
Parents, you love your children. Protect them. Let us help. It’s so much more than belts and uniforms and trophies. Don’t wait until your child comes home with an injury or a bruised spirit before you decide to do something about it. Makes as much sense as buying car insurance AFTER an accident. Protect your child, and I can help.
Now, watch this video. Thanks for visiting my blog:
In case it doesn’t show up, here is the link:
UPDATE: The original video I uploaded was missing so the one above was not what I originally posted. HERE is the video.